The perfect cup of coffee, sun shining on my face, or nailing that pose in yoga!…..
The secret of Happiness is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy Less. (Socrates)
Looking back I have always been a minimalist. It’s not something I work at or find hard to maintain. I have always chosen to surround myself with people and possessions that “feel good” to me- it’s always been quality over quantity.
Subtracting and adding as I meander through life. I know subtracting people from your life may sound harsh, but I do believe that some people are meant to be in your life always, some for a short time and others are just for a certain period in your life. Relationships should be based on common interests, humor, moral character, like mindedness, and those are things that tend to evolve as we grow. I have always chosen to fill my surroundings much in the same way, with things that have a person meaning, memories or that bring me happiness when I look at them. I have never cared about brand names, or having something just to say I have it. I prefer cozy over commercial. I prefer the natural, pretty and subtle. I prefer to spend time with a person who has great stories to tell over great possessions to show.
In keeping my life simplistic and minimal, along with following these healthy habits, (most days) are lived intentionally.
- Yoga practice– at least 4 x a week.
- Enjoy nature– hiking, fresh air, sunshine, exercise, nature journal entries, enjoying the seasons- all good for the body and soul!
- Taking time for myself– quiet cup of coffee or taking time to paint, taking a walk. Some days all I need is 5 minutes, other days a couple hours would be great!
- Balanced diet– If one day is filled with quick meals and a dinner party, I make sure the next is filled with fruits, veggies and water.
- Don’t Compare – I try not to compare myself to others at all. Every single person is different, and that’s a good thing! I look to others for inspiration.
- Lemon Water– simple, yet so beneficial and effective! It is the only thing I drink everyday all day.
- Reading– curling up with a good book- whether it be for educational purposes or personal enjoyment. I read frequently and try to stay off social media for blocks of time.
- Routine– though not set by a clock , I tend to eat and sleep at about the time each day. I have found a natural rhythm to my days and tend to stick with it. As much as I get sick of routine, I also count on it….if that makes any sense!?
- Minimalist– keep it simple in all areas- less to worry about, less to clean, less to stay organized, less errands – essentially equals less work/more play!
- Family/Friends– being present and making personal connections and having meaningful conversations; play a key role in food for the heart, mind and soul.
Please share your healthy habits! Have a great day!